The facility has been constructed in honor of the Ellis-Scott family and its role in the community. The facility is situated with an overlook of the Clinch River in Kingston, Tennessee, which is the site of the disastrous fly-ash spill that contaminated the river and surrounding land on December 22, 2008.
The building has been used for weddings, school events, and contemplation by those who pass by. In the future, it will be used for public gatherings and other community-oriented events. It is equipped with a catering kitchen, public toilets, and covered gathering area with an open-hearth fireplace.
The building is a Net Positive Energy Building, and it is designed to always be net positive. It incorporates a 3.5 kW photovoltaic array, LED lighting, and natural ventilation.
The building stone was reused from the original residence that stood in its place. The original residence had been constructed in 1950 using Crab Orchard stone, mined approximately 40 miles from the site. Supplemental stone needed for the new structure came from the same mining area nearly 60 years later. The mantle used over the fireplace was created from a cedar tree that had to be removed from the property.
The LED lights use a silicon carbide substrate. One of the family members helped pioneer crystalline growth of the substrate and its incorporation into LED lighting.
Construction of the building was performed with local labor using local materials and a stone artisan from the area of the stone mine. Landscaping uses plantings that are native to the local area.
The project is the first to pursue energy partnering with the local utility company, which sources its power from the Tennessee Valley Authority.