Portland State's Shattuck hall was originally constructed as an elementary school in 1915. In 2007 the university undertook extensive renovations of the building to bring it up to current seismic requirements. In addition to structural improvements, the design team was able to upgraded the building's aging mechanical and electrical systems, upgrade plumbing, and restore the large light wells that bring daylight into the U-shaped building.
The resulting building houses Portland State's Architecture department, where students are able to learn from the exposed building systems. In addition to good looks, the building performs 40% better than the average building of this type.